No this recipe isn’t 50 Million Pound Challenge approved, but a sister had a request for it from a really good friend in crisis–who am I to say no to a friend in need? This is my delicious version of the honey glazed fried chicken that I order at my favorite cheap eats restaurant in the city–it’s sticky, and super delicious. I usually serve it with buttermilk waffles for brunch, but eaten alone is just as good. Enjoy…in moderation.
Prep Time: 1 hour and 30 minutes
Cook Time: 18 minutes
Ready In: 1 hour and 48 minutes
Yields: 4 servings
1 whole chicken, cut into 8 pieces
1/2 cup lemon juice
Salt and ground black pepper
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon seasoned salt
3 large eggs
1/2 cup milk
Vegetable oil, for deep frying
1 cup butter
1/2 cup honey
1. Preheat oven to 300 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside. Clean and rinse chicken under cold water. Place in a large bowl and add lemon juice; let sit for 1 minute and rinse well with cold water. Pat dry and season with 1 1/2 teaspoons salt and 1 teaspoon ground black pepper. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
2. Place flour in a resealable plastic bag and season with seasoned salt. Mix the eggs and the milk together in a wide, shallow bowl and season with salt and pepper. Dip the chicken pieces into the egg mixture, and then place each piece in the bag. Shake until chicken is completely coated. Set aside while the oil is heating.
3. In a large skillet, preferably cast iron, heat oil over high heat until very hot, but not smoking, about 350ÂºF. Carefully add chicken pieces in batches, making sure not to overcrowd the skillet. Fry chicken, uncovered and turning occasionally until golden brown on all sides and cooked throughout, about 6 minutes for breasts and wings, and 8 to 10 minutes for thighs and legs.
4. Meanwhile, melt the butter in a small saucepan over low heat. Once melted, remove from heat and stir the honey into the melted butter; set aside.
5. Remove the chicken from the skillet and drain on a paper towel-lined platter. Using tongs, place the chicken on the prepared baking sheet and spoon 1/2 to 3/4 cup of honey glaze over the chicken pieces. Place in the oven and bake just until the honey is sticky and coating the chicken, about 7 minutes. Remove and serve immediately with additional honey glaze on the side.